Given the times we are in, it can be a challenge to gather during Mother’s Day. Even if you can’t be together, you can always lift up prayers that honor your mother.
Remember the Promise that Comes When You Honor Your Mother
God has always intended for you to honor your mother. This commandment is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments. Honoring comes with a promise.
- “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.”—Exodus 20:12
- “’Honor your father and mother’—which is the first commandment with a promise— ‘so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’”—Ephesians 6:2-3
Who Are the Mothers in Your Life?
It is important to honor your mother, but it is also God’s will that you honor the other women in your life for the role they hold as a mother.
- “Respect everyone, and love the family of believers. Fear God, and respect the king.”—1 Peter 2:17 (NLT)
Therefore, identify the mothers in your life and lift up prayers of thanksgiving, encouragement, and blessings for them during this season. The list of mothers could include…
- Your wife
- The mothers of faith
- Your mother-in-law
- Your daughter
- Your daughter-in-law
- You mother
Below are 3 prayers that are written to honor your mother, but you can adjust them to any fit any mother in your life who you want to honor this Mother’s Day.
There are also 7 practical ways to honor your mother (or any mother in your life) in this season of social distancing.
3 Prayers That Honor Your Mother
Prayer 1. A prayer of thanks.
Father God, thank you for blessing me with a mother who loves you. Father, you have given her a spirit of love, wisdom, and understanding. That spirit has greatly impacted my life as her child. Thank you for working to shape her role as a mother that has, in turn, shaped my life. You are the potter and we are the clay. I ask that you continue to bless her with comfort and joy all the days of her life. I pray this in Jesus’s name, amen.
Prayer 2. A prayer of encouragement.
Father God, I thank you that you bring fresh encouragement each morning. Lord, I pray that my mother receives this encouragement and is greatly blessed by it. Lord, I lift my mother up to you right now. Allow her to feel your presence and hear your voice. Calm any fear or anxiety in her. Replace it with confidence, trust, and complete belief in your promises. If there is any hurt or pain in her, I cancel it in the name of Jesus. I ask that you go before her, leading her to victory. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Prayer 3. A prayer for her relationships.
Father, I thank you for creating my mother in your image. Lord, you’ve designed her to be in relationship and fellowship with others. I pray that you bless her relationships and friendships. Bring people into her life that edify and build her up, according to your Word in Romans 14:9. Lord, bring her the support and love she needs during this season. You know her needs, and you promise they will always be fulfilled in you. I pray that her relationships guide her closer to you, and you draw closer to her in this season of separation. In Jesus’ name, amen.
7 Practical Ways to Honor Your Mother During This Season
- Send a card. Write one of these prayers on a card and send it to the mother in your life. Let her know you are actively praying for her.
- Send flowers. During this time of social distancing, sending flowers speaks volumes. It is one of the most common ways children honor their mothers. However, this year it says more than “Happy Mother’s Day.” It says, “I miss you. Though we are miles apart, I am sending you something to remind you that I am close to your heart.”
- Send a gift card to her from her favorite local restaurant. This tells her that you remember the details about her likes and dislikes.
- Call her. Perhaps your mom isn’t tech-savvy and longs to hear your voice. Calling her is the perfect way to honor her. If she is comfortable using zoom or other video conferencing capabilities, then this is a great option so that she can see and talk to you, even when you are apart.
- Write a social media post and tag her. Posting an honoring message about your mom tells her that you want others to know how amazing she is. Posting on social media to honor your mother is like sending in a virtual toast across the world.
- Create a collage of photos that tell a story of your life together and post it on social media. Your mom loves looking at pictures of you and your family. Create a collage and post it on social media. Or send it to her in the mail as a keepsake. This allows her to reminisce about some of the happiest moments in her life.
- Tell others about her positive impact on your life. This is something you can do anytime. Living a life that honors your mother, and sharing with others how God used her to shape that life is a great way to plant seeds into God’s promise mentioned in Ephesians 6:2-3 all year long.
She is too anointed to be discouraged during this season. Bless and honor your mother today.